Club History

In 1899 a young 18 year old from Tipperary Offaly border by the name of Patrick Corcoran. He took up employment in the establishment of Patrick Hennessey as an apprentice shop assistant. Among his personal effects when he arrived was a long narrow piece of wood with a turn at the end and a ball made of leather and adorned with a raised seam. He of course thought that all the young men of the locality would be similarly equipped. He was amazed and disappointed that hurling was not being played in the area and indeed most of the locals had never seen a hurley or sliothar before that. In those days most shop assistants and apprentices were the sons of owners of establishments and were sent to get a good grounding away from home. The idea was that they would return home to eventually take over. Hennessy's was no different and most of the young men employed there had the means to acquire a hurley at least. For the next couple of years Patrick Corcoran and his friends had a puck around in the Sports Field, which was kindly provided by the then Lord Longford in Pakenham Hall. From records acquired it is safe to assume that this was the field at Nonsuch off the main road at the bottom of Kinturk Hill.
The curiosity of some of the youths and the not so youthful was aroused and gradually a few of the locals began to try their hand at striking the ball. Weekly practices were arranged on Sundays but the numbers were still very small. Cricket was still dominant in every parish large and small. Then around 1903 the Gaelic revival took off through the activities of the Gaelic League.  This was to have a significant effect on the development of the game of hurling in Castlepollard.
Irish classes had been on-going for some considerable time and had been resumed in early 1903.  They were under the tuiton of Mr Peter Nea from Mayne Coole. The Gaelic League was quite active at this time and among their aims was the revival of Gaelic games.  A big push was made in promoting the game and this resulted in an increased interest.  A Club was formed and about two dozen players could be seen in Nonsuch on Sundays. As described in the local news an exhibition in how to use the hurley was given by the Commercial men.  The names mentioned were Messrs. Corcoran(Patrick), Harrington, Sheerin, Maguire, Halpin and Healey all of Hennessy's and Reynolds and Gough of Gibneys.
Foremost in the formation of the Club was Patrick Corcoran and was assisted by Peter Nea who was subsequently involved in the formation of most other Clubs in the area including Simonstown. Tuition and coaching of the uninitiated was done principally by Pat Corcoran. Players secured hurleys from Mr James Thornton of Pakenham Hall Street.
At this time the team was called Sarsfields and wore red and black. Circa 1926 the club moved grounds from Nonsuch to Fox's Field. In 1937 the Club move headquarters. Lord Longford once again showed his generosity and stepped into the breach by putting the Field beside the Show Field at their disposal for a Nominal Annual Rent. During this time it was being refferred to as 'Delaney Park' in honour of the local CC. However it was always popularly known over the years as the 'Lords Field' 
1st Ever AGM - Officers Elected:-
   President/Chairman :- Thomas Murray(Tailor)
                               who lived at  Church St, Castlepollard.
    Secretary :-    Patrick Corcoran   
       Treasurer :-   J.J. Kavanagh
       Captain :-       Tommy Clinton
       Committee :-  P Maguire, J Ryan
In 1951 in an effort to restore the flagging fortunes of the Club an idea was mooted that the players of Fore would combine with Castlepollard and eventually the name St. Michael's Castlepollard was agreed upon. In a very short period of time the name seemed to 'Peter out'. Nobody heard the shout "come on St Michaels" from the sidelines. It was still 'Come on the Town' or "up Pollard".  In 1955 Pollard reached the Semi-final vs Rickardstown wining by 26pts and was the last game played in the Red and Black Circular Banded jerseys. Three Chanpionships, two Feis Cups, one League Title, and one Junior Championship in 1947, had been won in these famous old colours. These were now showing the worse for wear and it was decided to purchase new jerseys for the Final. The original Colours were all Blue with Gold collars and cuffs. Neither the original nor the Red and Black were available, so a compromise of Blue and Gold was decided upieldon which coincided with the famous Tipperary colours. 
In 1958 the committee was the underbidder at £860 for Fox's Field which in is now our Home and Headquarters.
Then in 1968 the Pollard notes carried the following headline: 'Castlepollard are Homeless'. Permission to use the Park known as The Lords Field has been withdrawn as the land was now required for the expansion of the new dairy-farming project in Tullynally. However alternative accommodation was offered, convient to the old Tennis Courts, which would be used for practice.  Towards the end of the year John Walsh, Land Steward in Kinturk put a field at the clubs disposal. He was originally from Wexford but had hurled for Pollard and was a great supporter.
In 1970 Mr Barney Lynch, Church Street kindly put a field at the clubs disposal, which became known as 'Barney Lynch's Field
In 1976 a piece of land at the bottom of the hill of Kinturk was on the Market. Realistically it could not be envisaged as a future Park, but it would be property if acquired and could be turned into Revenue at a later date. To this end an American Tea Party was arranged and was a resounding success. Other functions were held and eventually the property was acquired.
1982, Club started the drive to raise funds for the purchase of the present GAA pitch, known as 'Fox's Field' that had a price tag of £45,000. The fundraising started with a house to house collection in the Castlepollard area. A new Club, The Castlepollard Community Club was formed to raise the balance. The 12 acres the club owned, at the bottom of the hill of Kinturk was raffled off to help raise the rest of the money.
Leveling of the pitch 1999
Club Centenary Celebrations 2003